Skip to main content

tv   This Week With George Stephanopoulos  ABC  December 20, 2015 10:00am-11:00am PST

10:00 am
chris christie, all here live. from abc news, a special edition of "this week," live from manchester, new hampshire. here now, chief anchor george stephanopoulos. good morning from new hampshire. we're live from the first primary state this week, here inside the debate hall at st. anselm college, where the democrats went at it last night. it's the last debate of the year. also the feistiest. they clashed on taxes, gun control. top issue right now, how to take on isis and otect our homeland. donald trump, the only gop candidate mentioned last night. mr. trump joins us live this morning. bernie sanders and chris christie will be here, too. and we begin with all of last night's big moments from our chief white house correspondent jonathan karl. good morning, jon. >> reporter: good morning, george. going into this debate the democratic race was engulfed with allegations that the sanders campaign stole voter data from hillary clinton's
10:01 am
bernie sanders offered a quick apology for that before all the candidates turned their attention to their murt wall enemy, donald trump. last night's debate started with a surprise -- a mea culpa from bernie sanders. >> not only do i apologize to secretary clinton i want to apologize to my supporters. this is not the type of campaign that we run. >> i very much appreciate that comment, bernie, we should move on because i don't think the american people are all that interested in this. >> reporter: throughout the night, clinton and sanders sparred on foreign policy. >> if the united states does not lead, there is not another leader. there is a vacuum. >> the united states is not the policemen of the world, the united states must not be involved in perpetual warfare in the middle east. >> reporter: and on the economy and wall street. >> should corporate america love hillary clinton? >> everybody should. >> and will corporate america
10:02 am
>> no, i think they won't. ceos of large multinationals may like hillary, they're not going to like me. and wall street is going to like me even less. >> reporter: martin o'malley called out both sanders and clinton on gun control. >> senator sanders voted against even research dollars to look into this public health issue. >> whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. >> we need commonsense gun safety. >> let's calm down a little bit, martin. do not tell me that i have not shown courage in standing up to the gun people. >> reporter: while this featured the sharpest attacks, all three trained their fire on one man, gop front-runner donald trump. >> we must never surrender our american values to racists or surrender them to the fascist pleas of billionaires with big mouths. >> someone like donald trump comes along, i know the answers, the answer is that all of the mexicans, they're criminals and rapists. we hate all the muslims because all of the muslims are
10:03 am
>> he's becoming isis' best recruiter. they are going to people showing videos of donald trump insulting islam and muslims in order to recruit more radical jihadists. >> reporter: as you heard, an explosive allegation from hillary clinton against donald trump saying that isis is showing videos of trump to recruit potential new jihadists. we asked the clinton campaign where they got that from, they have not offered, george, any direct evidence that that has happened. donald trump for his part overnight tweeted simply, hillary clinton lied. h >> okay, jon karl, thanks very let's talk to mr. trump right now. we saw that tweet, mr. trump. are you going to stand by it? >> well, of course, i'm standing by it. it was vetted. they went to "the washington post." fox news went out in great detail and looked for it and there's no such video. and they may make one up knowing the clintons and knowing hillary, but there's no -- there's nobody -- she just made it up, i mean she made it up. it was a sound bite. just like bernie sanders lied.
10:04 am
things that never took place. i never said that about mexicans. i have great relationships with the hispanics. i didn't say what he said. you know, they make up things in the world of politics. they're all talk and no action. they're politicians. >> you sure you want to go down that road, the fact-checkers have called you out on more false statements than any other candidate. >> i'll go down that road. people may call me out but they turn out to be wrong and many of the things i've said, i think about all of them, they have been controversial at one point, george, but they're not controversial in the end because people start to say, trump is actually right, and you go into illegal immigration, everybody now is coming my way. i have been 100% right as far as crime is concerned, as far as the economy is concerned. i have been right more than anybody else has been right -- >> you never came up with a video of those thousands of people cheering in new jersey on 9/11. >> there were plenty of people
10:05 am
i have come up with plenty. there were many other stories written. a lot of people -- thousands of people have been calling and writing and e-mailing, many people saw it, and it was in new jersey and it was also all over the world. george, so there's an obvious problem because all over the world, and you're not even disputing that, but people were celebrating all over the world. and i think it's disgusting. >> there were people in west bank, not in new jersey as far as any evidence -- >> of course, there were. george, there were articles written about it, people celebrating. in fact, if you look at the famous "the washington post" article that he tried to retract there were articles written about it. don't tell me that, there's no reason to apologize, there were people celebrating. when the world trade center was coming down there were people celebrating. >> around the world. let's move on to vladimir putin, you got that praise from vladimir putin this week. called it a great honor. you said you always felt fine about putin. how can you say you felt fine
10:06 am
he backs our adversaries like bashar al assad and backs iran and he invades ukraine. >> i have been an extremely successful dealmaker. that's what i've done over years and i know people because deals are people. and i think i'll get along very well for the good of our country, for the good of our country, this is what i want, make america great again. i believe i'll get along fine with putin and i believe i'll get along fine with other leaders. obama doesn't get along with putin. putin can't stand our president, and it's causing us difficulty, and, frankly, and i said it a long time ago, if russia wants to bomb the hell out of isis and join us in that effort, i'm fine with that absolutely. i think that's an asset not a liability. so, if putin respects me and if putin wants me to call me brilliant and other things that he said which were, frankly, very nice, i'll accept that and i'll accept it on the behalf of our country. because if we get along well with russia, that's a positive thing not a negative thing.
10:07 am
well with putin but you seem to be alienating some of our allies. you said that angela merkel is ruining germany and here's what the british prime minister david cameron had to say about your proposal to ban muslims. >> i happen to disagree with donald trump. i think his remarks are divisive, stupid and wrong and i think if he came to visit our country, i think he'd unite us all against him. >> is it wise to be praising our adversaries and alienating our allies? >> george, yeah, i know you're having a lot of fun this morning and so am i if you want to know the truth. the fact is, we have a problem, george, you don't have to admit it because i know you want to be so politically correct all the time. you don't have to admit it. we have the problem and the problem is a very serious problem, you have a radicalization of people, they happen to be islamic and you have the radical islamic terrorism problem that our president doesn't even want to mention, he doesn't want to use those three words
10:08 am
and because he's not mentioning live it, we're never going to solve it. unless you know what the problem is you can't solve it. so, we have a serious, serious problem, where you look at what happened in california last week, you look at people flying airplanes into the world trade center, you look at many other things that have been happening not only in this country, but around the world, including in paris, there's a problem, george. you have to address it. if you don't address it, the problem is just going to worse and worse. people have to turn other people in. people knew what was going on in california. people knew what -- other people, outsiders, friends of theirs knew what was going on in paris. those people don't turn them in. why don't they turn them in? >> well, they should turn them in. i agree with you on that. >> with attitudes like your attitude, people won't turn them in. people are just going to go along, we have to solve a very serious problem, and if you don't want to talk about it, or if you think it's politically incorrect, that's your problem, not mine. >> one final question on
10:09 am
pressed about his killing of journalists, you said, i think our country does plenty of killing too. what were you thinking there. what sanctioned killing by the u.s. government is -- >> i think hillary clinton when she was secretary of state made some horrible, horrible decisions, and thousands and thousands and even hundreds of thousands of people have been killed. i mean, you look at what went on in libya. you look at so many bad decisions that she made. she's incompetent as far as i'm concerned. >> that's not killing by the united states government, though, is it? that's not the same as ordering a killing. >> as far as the reporters are concerned, obviously, i don't want that to happen. i think it's horrible, but in all fairness to putin, you're saying he killed people, i haven't seen that. i don't know that he has. have you been able to prove that? do you know the names of the reporters that he's killed because i have been -- you've been hearing this but i haven't seen the name. now, i think it was despicable or would be despicable if that took place but i haven't seen any evidence that he killed anybody in
10:10 am
>> here's what mitt romney tweeted about that. he said, there's an important distinction here, thug putin kills journalists and opponents, our presidents kill terrorists and enemy combatants. >> does he know for a fact that he kills the reporters? i don't think anybody know that. it's possible that he does. i don't think it's been proven. has anybody proven that he's killed reporters? and i'm not trying -- >> there have been many amess that he was behind the killing of -- >> sure, there are allegations. sure, there are allegations. i have read those allegations over the years. but nobody's proven that he's killed anybody as far as i'm concerned. he hasn't killed reporters -- >> so, what killing has the united states government done? >> george, excuse me. let me finish. if he has killed reporters, i think that's terrible but this isn't like somebody that stood with a gun and he's taking the blame or admitted that he's killed. he's always denied it. it's never been proven that he's killed anybody. so, you know, you're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, at least in our country. he has not been proven that he has killed reporters.
10:11 am
killing, too. what killing are you talking about there ordered by the united states government. >> take a look at what we're doing in the middle east. we went into iraq, we shouldn't have. you know that i was opposed to going into iraq many years ago in 2003/2004. there were headlines in reuters, trump is opposed to the war. because you're going to destabilize the middle east and i said if you do this you'll destabilize the middle east and iran will take over. iraq. that's exactly what's happened. and on top of that we have isis which is another problem and another complicating factor. now, we should have never gone into iraq. when we left, we made a mistake. we made a big mistake with libya, we destabilized all of these places. we now have a migration with thousands and hundreds of thousands thousandsand even millions of people that don't know where they're going. it's a terrible thing. we have been run by incompetent
10:12 am
that's probably why i'm leading so high in the polls because people are tired of seeing very, very stupid and very, very incompetent people running our country into the ground. in the meantime, we owe $19 trillion soon going to be $21 trillion and we better get our act together fast because our country is going down if we don't. >> your comments seem to suggest a moral equivalence between the united states and russia. >> i'm not saying anything. i'm saying when you say a man has killed reporters, i'd like you to prove it. and i'm saying it would be a terrible thing if it were true but i have never seen any information or any proof that he killed reporters, george, you're just saying, he killed reporters. you and other people tell me he killed reporters. i don't know they killed reporters. i haven't seen it. if he did, i think it's despicable. i think it would be horrible but you're making these accusations, and i don't see any proof. and, by the way, he totally
10:13 am
he totally denied it. >> i'm still waiting for the evidence that we've been directly involved in killing people, as well. you made your points about iraq but i do want to move on. >> excuse me. take a look at the rampage all over the place. you know what we've gotten for our act, we spent $2 trillion, okay, thousands, hundreds of thousands of people killed. we have lost thousands and thousands of our great young people soldiers. 2 trillion deaths, wounded warriors, we have nothing, and iran is now taking over iraq with the second largest oil reserves in the world. and i said don't go in but i said when you. >> out, take the oil and i've been saying that for four years to you and others and we were so incompetent, we didn't even get the oil. you know who got a lot of the oil? isis got a lot of the oil. that's who got the oil and now iran is taking the rest of it. they're going to get the lion's share. because we don't know what we're doing. we're run by people that don't have a clue. >> and iran has been backed by vladimir putin.
10:14 am
question about iowa. "the new york times" has a story this morning saying -- >> excuse me, iran has been backed by us. you know why -- you know how iran has been backed by us, because we made one of the dumbest deals in the history of dealmaking when we gave them $150 billion, we have 24-day inspections which don't start for a long time. and they can self-inspect and we don't even get our prisoners back so don't tell me about iran being run by putin the we let iran back -- it's a terror nation, and we let iran become very powerful. by the way, they don't need to create nuclear because they're now so rich with $150 billion they can go out and buy it directly. so, we're the ones that have really empowered iran, not russia. russia is certainly doing their damage also but we through sheer stupidity of a deal, one of the worst deals i've ever seen negotiated we are the ones that truly have empowered iran and
10:15 am
than russia has? >> george, we just made one of the worst deals i have ever seen in dealmaking. i'm not talking between nations. we don't even get our prisoners back, and now after the deal is made, they want to start talking as a new deal to get our prisoners back, and they want a lot for the prisoners, for the four prisoners. by the way, they say we're not going to give you -- >> russia is part of that deal as well. it was backed up by russia. >> hey, let me -- yeah, you know why, because russia is making a lot of money with the deal, because they're selling missiles and other military armaments to iran. and they're getting -- they're making a fortune on it because they're smart. because they're smart. you know what we're getting from that deal? nothing. russia should want them to make the deal because russia's selling armaments and they're selling beautiful new, modern missiles. they're selling them to iran because our people don't know what they're doing. so, of course, russia wanted that deal to be made because they're making a fortune. but you know what we get with
10:16 am
>> wait a minute. it's our fault that russia is selling missiles to iran? >> of course, it's our fault. russia is a negotiator with us at the table. russia wanted iran to make that deal because they wanted iran to have a lot of money so that russia could take some of that money away from iran because russia is selling them tremendous numbers of missiles and armaments. george, if you don't know that, so, russia, if i was russia i would have wanted that deal done, too, because the money by the united states run by incompetent people is giving to iran, a lot of that money is going to russia and other countries to buy armaments. you don't know that, george, but that's the way it is. >> i do that. m just not sure it's our fault. i'm afraid that's all the time we have time for this morning. always a lively conversation. thank you, mr. trump. >> thank you very much. we're just getting started from here in new hampshire. bernie sanders is up next. we're going to hear from the clinton camp too and the republican making his move now in new hampshire with chris
10:17 am
george stephanopoulos brought to you by abreva. right when you feel a cold sore, abreva can heal it in as few as two and a half days when used at the first sign. without it the virus spreads from cell to cell. only abreva penetrates deep and starts to work immediately to block the virus and protect healthy cells. you could heal your cold sore, fast, as fast as two and a half days when used at the first sign. learn how abreva starts to work immediately at abreva.com don't tough it out, knock it out, fast. with abreva. this is a story about doers, the artificial heart, electric guitars and rockets to the moon. it's the story of america- land of the doers. doin' it. did it. done. doers built this country. the dams and the railroads. john henry was a steel drivin' man hmm, catchy. they built the golden gates and the empire states. and all this doin' takes energy -no matter who's doin'. there's all kinds of doin' up in here. or what they're doin'. what the heck's he doin? energy got us here. and it's our job to make sure there's enough
10:18 am
to keep us all doin' what we do. let's get these dayquil liquid gels and go. but these liquid gels are new. mucinex fast max. it's the same difference. this one is max strength and fights mucus. mucinex fast max. the only cold and flu liquid gel that's max-strength and fights mucus.
10:19 am
you see him here with bernie sanders. we're live in new hampshire. we'll be right back. i have asthma... ...one of many pieces in my life. so when my asthma symptoms kept coming back on my long-term control medicine, i talked to my doctor and found a missing piece in my asthma treatment. once-daily breo prevents asthma symptoms. breo is for adults with asthma not well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine,
10:20 am
breo won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. breo opens up airways to help improve breathing for a full 24 hours. breo contains a type of medicine that increases the risk of death from asthma problems and may increase the risk of hospitalization in children and adolescents. breo is not for people whose asthma is well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. once your asthma is well controlled, your doctor will decide if you can stop breo and prescribe a different asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. do not take breo more than prescribed. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. ask your doctor if 24-hour breo could be a missing piece for you. see if you're eligible for
10:21 am
does secretary clinton deserve an apology tonight? >> yes, i apologize. >> secretary clinton, do you accept? >> not only do i apologize to secretary clinton, and i hope we can work together on an independent investigation from day one, i want to apologize to my supporters. this is not the type of campaign that we run, and if i find anybody else involved in this, they will also be fired. >> opening moments last night with senator bernie sanders, he joins us live here in new
10:22 am
i want to get to that in a second, but first, you just heard donald trump call you out. he said you lied and doubled down on that embrace from vladimir putin. >> i tell you, it's rather extraordinary. i think, and i say this straightforwardly, i think you have a pathological liar right there. >> pathological. >> pathological. i think most of what he says are lies or gross distortions of facts. he's saying over and over again that he saw on television as i understand it thousands of people in new jersey celebrating 9/11, the destruction of the twin towers, either that's true or it's not true. from what i understand, there's have been a lot of research, they archive what goes on television. you're a tv guy, everything we are saying is going to be archived. either it is true, or it is not true. nobody has seen a tape of thousands of people celebrating the destruction of the twin towers in new jersey. it doesn't exist, and he keeps
10:23 am
lying. yes, he just a few moments ago accused me of lying. what i said last night is he has suggested that mexicans who are coming to this country are criminals and rapists, that's exactly what he said. what somebody like a donald trump is doing is playing on the fears and anxieties of the american people and people are afraid. they're afraid of terrorism, rightfully so. they're anxious about an economy in which the middle class is disappearing. we're seeing massive levels of income and wealth inequality. people are worried about the future for their kids. these are legitimate fears. so, instead of having a rational discussion about how we rebuild the middle class, how we deal with wall street, how we have a tax system in which the wealthy and powerful pay their fair share of taxes, what trump is saying, it's all the muslims' fault. >> how do you explain why that's doing so well right now? >> because it's an easy solution. how do we rebuild the middle class? well, you're going to have to
10:24 am
to wall street. you're going to have to create millions of decent paying jobs by rebuilding our infrastructure. you'll have to provide health care to all people. et cetera, et cetera, but what trump says, this is what demagogues all over the world have historically done. are you nervous, are you scared, are you frightened for the future? i'll tell you the reason. it's the muslims. all the muslims out there are terrorists. we have stop them coming into this country. it's the mexicans, it's the immigrants who are coming in. they're all rapists and criminals. okay, i'm angry. we're going to take it out on them. meanwhile, trump is saying the minimum wage in america which is $7.25 an hour, he said it's good that we have a low minimum wage. this guy trump is saying, we need to give hundreds of billions of dollars in tax breaks to the top 0.3%, the very richest people in this country. >> how do you defeat that? >> you defeat that by going out to the working people of this country and making it clear that if we're
10:25 am
working families, we have to do it together. we have to juchdz stand the real causes and the real causes are the greed of corporate america. the greed of wall street. not some poor mexican who's in this country trying to live on $7 an hour. >> i want to ask you about that moment about the apology on the data breach by one of your staffers. after that your campaign said you suspended two more staffers. is that it, is the discipline finished? >> we're still trying to figure out. this is fairly complicated stuff and one of the things that bothered me, as i understand it, the dnc has been giving out information to the media, giving out before the clinton campaign before we're even getting it. but we are going to take a thorough look at this and what i said last night and i'll repeat, this is not the first breach caused by a dnc vendor, all right, it's at least the second. and what i want to see is an independent investigation going on day one in this campaign to explore all of the breaches. >> you also said last night that you're not convinced that the clinton te
10:26 am
>> no. that's why i want an independent investigation. when there's a breach, it happens both ways. the first time it happened and when my staff saw it, they said, wait, this is really bad. they went to the dnc and went to the vendor. this is bad. second time, one or more of my staff acted inappropriately. that guy was fired. okay, what i want is an independent investigation. to see what has happened. is it possible that when you had a breach, the other side looked at our stuff. i'm not saying it's true but i'm saying it's absolutely a possibility. >> your campaign has been pretty tough on the dnc. your campaign manager said they're actively trying to undermine our campaign, even used the word sabotage. is that what you believe? >> look, a staff member or more on my team acted inappropriately. and we're going to deal with that. but, to shut off access to my campaign's information, what word would you use? sabotage is -- we have -- that's our volunteers. those are the people, names of
10:27 am
contact. we for a day, two days couldn't access that information. that's total overreaction. what should have been done is there should have been a meeting between the teams, quietly, we got a problem, how are we going to address this problem? not leaking stuff to "the washington post," by the way, and certainly not separating us and preventing us from getting the information we need to run a campaign. >> big difference between you and secretary clinton last night on the issue of taxes, she made a pledge not to raise any taxes you talked about the tax to pay you said it was about $1.61 for a family each week. but that's not it for you, right? how are you going to pay for the rest of your program? >> good, fair question. we're going to provide free tuition to public colleges and universities by imposing a tax on wall street speculation. that tax will pay completely for public tuition, tuition at public colleges and universities and substantially lower interest rates on student debt. we're going to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure through a trillion-dollar
10:28 am
jobs by doing aaway with the loopholes that currently exist by which corporations can stash their money in the cayman aisles and bermuda and not pay a nickel in federal income taxes. we're going to raise social security benefits, expand benefits by lifting the cap on taxable income going into social security. so, people making $250,000 a year or more will pay the same percentage of their income as people making 50,000. >> still have to pay health care. >> no, that will expand social security benefits for people who are trying to live on $12,000 or $13,000 a year. but in terms of this, the united states today is the only major country on the earth doesn't have paid family and medical leave act. it's an absolute disgrace. a working class woman has a baby. she may have to go back to work in a week or two because she doesn't have the income. every other country on earth has paid family and medical leave. i am supporting legislation introduced in the house and the senate, which has all virtual lyly progressive democrats onboard,
10:29 am
>> that's my question. is that it? no other tax increases on the middle class? >> that's right. okay, final question on the issue of regime change. big difference you said last night between you and secretary clinton at least in the past, but where are you different going forward, ruling out ground troops and building a collision. >> i do not agree with a no-fly zone in syria. i think it can get us sucked into some serious problems in the area. i think absolutely there has to be a strong international coalition -- and this is what i believe -- king abdullah of jordan has made this point, the war that's going on is for the soul of islam, what he believes and what i i believe is the muslim troops themselves, muslim countries have got to come together on the ground to take on isis. what i also believe is that wealthy countries like qatar, which per capita is
10:30 am
spending $200 billion on the world cup they're hosting in 2022 they'll have to help us destroy isis. we'll be right back with governor chris christie. >> announcer: "this week" with george stephanopoulos brought to you by carmax. to the couple who set aside the whole day to sell their old car and buy a new one... oops. nana's got the kids til 9... but it's only 2. guess you'll just have to see a movie... ...then get some dinner. what a pity. this is a story about doers, the artificial heart, electric guitars and rockets to the moon.
10:31 am
doin' it. did it. done. doers built this country. the dams and the railroads. john henry was a steel drivin' man hmm, catchy. they built the golden gates and the empire states. and all this doin' takes energy -no matter who's doin'. there's all kinds of doin' up in here. or what they're doin'. what the heck's he doin? energy got us here. and it's our job to make sure there's enough to keep doers doin' the stuff doers do... to keep us all doin' what we do. what if the sweet stevia leaf was discovered... ...before the sugarcane. all our favorite sugary foods would be our favorite truvia-y foods. truvia. life with less sugar is just as sweet. and we have lots of candidates here in new hampshire, you see governor chris christie right here.
10:32 am
some of these experiments may not work. but a few might shape the future. like turning algae into biofuel... ...new technology for capturing co2 emissions... ...and cars twice as efficient as the average car today. ideas exxonmobil scientists are working on to make energy go further... ...no matter how many tries it takes. energy lives here. are you curious? do you wonder why things work? do you look at things and say "i can make that better"? these questions, these curiosities then lead to discoveries... ...and those discoveries are going to lead to the energy solutions for the next 50 years. we have big, big challenges. one challenge is to capture the co2 before it's released into the atmosphere.
10:33 am
that's the equivalent of eliminating the annual emissions of more than one million cars. in the longer term, we are working on how to convert algae into biofuels. the ultimate objective is to be able to put it into an existing car, to not have to redo the engine. that could be one of the very important parts of the energy equation in the future. we want to drive our scientists, we want to drive our engineers, to never be satisfied with where we are today. because there are always better ways to do things. i'm vijay swarup, and i am a scientist at exxonmobil. hi, i'm henry winkler and i'm here to tell homeowners that are sixty-two and older about a great way to live a better retirement... it's called a reverse mortgage. call right now to receive your free dvd and booklet with no obligation. it answers questions like... how a reverse mortgage works, how much you qualify for, the ways to receive your money... and more. plus, when you call now,
10:34 am
led light absolutely free! when you call the experts at one reverse mortgage today, you'll learn the benefits of a government-insured reverse mortgage. it will eliminate your monthly mortgage payments and give you tax-free cash from the equity in your home and here's the best part... you still own your home. take control of your retirement today! janet? cough if you can hear me. don't even think about it. i took mucinex dm for my phlegmy cough. yeah...but what about mike? it works on his cough too. cough! it works on his cough too. mucinex dm relieves wet and dry coughs for 12 hours. let's end this.
10:35 am
new hampshire. joining us now governor chris christie. you've been on a move here in new hampshire moving up in the polls. we got a lot to talk about. i know it's not your favorite subject, but i got to begin with donald trump. you heard bernie sanders call him a pathological liar. your response to what he said this morning? >> well, listen, there was a lot that he said this morning. i would just say this, one, i was in new jersey on september 11th and thousands of people simply were not celebrating in jersey city. the former state attorney general who was closely watching this, a republican, back in 2001 said it's not true, so we know that's not true. secondly on putin, i'll say the same thing that i said yesterday, i wouldn't want the endorsement. i wouldn't want it so if he's happy with it, that's fine. >> you have also said we're already in world war iii. you know, you've said what are the implication ss of that right now and you have also said that if donald trump gets the nomination, your comfortable with him as commander-in-chief, are you really comfortable with him as commander in chief in a world war ii three? >> more comfortable than
10:36 am
she's the one that got us into the world war ii situation with barack obama. think about it. she said last night, we're finally where we need to be on isis. >> we're not? >> oh, my gosh. with dead bodies in paris. with dead bodies in san bernardino. and with no plan from this administration on how to deal with this, we're finally where we need to be? mrs. clinton is mrs. happy talk. and she just wants to happy talk her way to the presidency. she's the personification of this administration. are you going to believe me or your lying eyes? i mean so, you know, the fact is that's not where we need to be. >> she's called for a no-fly zone. she's called for a coalition. you've called for a no-through zone. the big difference, you're willing to put ground troops on the ground in iraq, in syria? >> well, yeah, that's one of the big differences. listen, this is the woman who last night refused to answer the question about libya. now, this was her strategy and
10:37 am
asked her -- or martha, rather, asked her about what responsibility she bears in libya, and she refused to answer it. bear? >> she bears a lot. if libya was a shining success and was a democracy, mrs. clinton would be dancing around the stage talking about how it was her idea and she recommended it to the president. and she got to implement it. yet, when there's a downside she takes no responsibility. it's like this president saying he wants to close guantanamo. when 30% now by his own analysis from mr. clapper says that 30% of the people he's released from guantanamo have gone back into the terrorist fight against the united states, how can you possibly think about closing guantanamo? but this is this tone deaf administration, a guy who yesterday, george, said he doesn't understand the anxieties of americans because he doesn't watch enough cable news. sure americans are ready to accept another u.s. intervention, ground troops in the middle east? >> no, i'm not sure, and it's the job of the president of the united states to make the case. if you believe that's where the
10:38 am
have a responsibility -- excuse me -- you have a responsibility to make the case to the american people. >> but what about the argument -- >> that's what i'll do when i'm president. >> -- that bernie sanders made that it has to be the muslim troops taking a lead on the ground. >> i don't disagree with that. we need to be a part of it and so are the europeans because the threat from isis is not just to us but to the muslim countries and to the europeans. and as the jordanian pilot that abdullah knows that it's to his >> you have been moving up in new hampshire. as i said that's made you more of a target. a super pac aligned with john kasich is running this ad right now. >> tonight, our very basic and have been agreed to by all three >> that is not the john kasich ad. >> doesn't look like it. is kasich putting hillary clinton and bernie sanders on his ads. >> the point i'm making news in
10:39 am
state is in deficit. his state is in surplus. >> my state is not in deficit. and that's wrong. in fact, what our state has done over the course of the last six year is to create 220,000 private secretary jobs. the year before, deer row net private secretary jobs, and this year, 2015 is the best year of private sector job growth in new jersey in 15 years. >> your credit has also been downgraded several times. >> sure has. you know why because i'm cleaning up the mess i inhere ritted and honestly. listen, they want to have a debate about the new jersey record, bring it on, i'm ready to have it. >> rand paul is ready to have that debate, as well. i think we have the sound bite. >> we sabotaged all of these video clips, george. >> did a good job right here. >> it was another data breach. bernie sanders helped me. it was fabulous. >> in the debate tuesday night. >> i think when we think about the judgment about someone who might want world war iii, someone might shut down a bridge because they don't like their friends.
10:40 am
do you think you'll be able to deal with this issue if you start to do better in new hampshire? >> i don't even know what the issue is. i mean, there is no issue. and the fact is that was, you know, commentary from a desperate candidate on the last legs of his campaign. he was flailing away at everyone on that stage. he reminded me of bobby jindal in the undercard debate the last time when all he did was flail away and then dropped out. >> you're betting it all on new hampshire right now. you're spending a lot of time following the john mccain playbook. but what about after, you know, a lot of your opponents have pointed out you don't even have much of an organization in south carolina. how do you capitalize even if you do well here. >> how much do i love the fact about what organization, assuming i'll do well in new hampshire. no one was saying that three months ago. no one was worried about that. here's what happened, the power of our ideas and the power of our campaign and momentum will carry us in the other states as well. and you've seen this happen time and time again in presidential politics. what happens in iowa and new
10:41 am
the race. and determine what's going to happen. listen, if marie's biggest problem -- >> your communications director. >> if her biggest problem is how do i hire more people, i think we'll accept that problem. >> i think i see maria smiling over there. i think that's all we have time for today. thanks for joining us, governor christie. and we'll be right back with
10:42 am
campaign. we're back now with jennifer palmieri, the clinton campaign communications director of the clinton campaign. we have to begin i think with secretary clinton giving it to the republican candidates last night. donald trump giving it back this morning. your response to donald trump this morning? >> you know, donald trump i think was talking -- what secretary clinton was saying last night is that one of the many dangerous things about donald trump is that his hot rhetoric saying we shouldn't allow muslim refugees in the country is being used and this something that the site, the international group who monitors social media and -- on isis -- >> but there have been no videos. >> what they have said, they're using him, he's being used in social media by isis as propaganda. she didn't have a particular video in mind but he's being used in social media and you know what they haven't found is
10:43 am
keeps talking about this alleged mystery video of thousands of people in jersey cheering the collapse of the world trade center. but it is true that he is being used in social media by isis. >> but to be fair you don't have a video -- >> to help recruiting. >> you don't have a video as she said -- >> she's not referring to a specific video but he is being used in social media by isis as propaganda. cite an international group, they monitor isis on social media. they monitor other terrorist groups on social media to see what they are using. and they say they are using him as propaganda to help recruit supporters. >> how about comments by governor christie responding to secretary clinton saying we're finally where we need to be on isis. the american people right now -- >> she was not saying where we need to be on isis. in the last three weeks, she's given two major policy speeches one after paris on how to defeat isis globally and just last week following san bernardino on how to protect the homeland.
10:44 am
that we have to defeat isis. what she was referring to is the fact that we're in a much better position to deal with syria and the political transition that we hope to see there from the u.n. security council voting on friday. to start a new process on political transition there. so that is what she's referring to and that's a really important development that we are able to have. that process going forward in syria. you got to do both things at once, deal with what's happening on the ground in syria and come together on a peace process as well as combat isis on the ground. >> we saw secretary clinton accept bernie sanders' apology last night. >> yes. >> on the data breach, so is this issue over? >> it was a -- well, first i would say senator sanders was gracious. i thought hillary was gracious, she appreciated the apology. it's a serious matter, though, what happened. it is a very serious matter and we're glad that there's going to be an independent audit of it. we appreciate that senator sanders said that if he found more people responsible that he would hold them accountable.
10:45 am
discount what happened here. they did go in. they took data. they tried to save it. it's proprietary data. it's stuff that our volunteers and our campaign worked very hard to create. >> you're absolutely sure the clinton campaign didn't do the same thing. >> yes, we're absolutely sure. apparently there was another time where everyone had -- where the network, if you will was open, but it was clear that neither -- no campaign did anything to try to breach that. we never did that. >> on the issue of taxes last night, secretary clinon said, as a pledge, no tax increases on anyone under $250,000. when she was on my program a couple of two weeks ago, that was her goal. is it a read my lips promise? >> she said we don't need -- this is not at the expense of a robust agenda to help the middle class. she has a very robust agenda. but you just don't need to do it -- she has other ways of paying it.
10:46 am
raising taxes on t >> going next to taxes this. now, this is getting to fun. we believe secretary clinton will be coming around the corner y minute. >> sorry. [ laughter ] you're the one who told us we break it of >> yeah, but the rule includes people- all right. >> tha you, good night, and may the force be with you. [ cheers and applause ] >> thank you to the candidates tonight. >> some of the lighter moments from last night's debate here with our roundtable joined by cokie roberts, donna brazile, democratic strategist also abc contributor ana navarro, supporter of jeb bush. abc contributor matt dowd who's worked for both parties including george w. bush. let's talk about the debate first off, ana, you're from the republican perspective, what did you see last night,
10:47 am
>> it's hard to tell who won. of course, you're going to a spin room and they tell you they won even before the debate is over. we take that forrant grassed. >> in the last debate, i think hillary clinton did a wall street answer which was a big faux pas. and it was a big faux pas with democratic primary voters. yesterday, she had three problems. last night, she claimed that donald trump was -- there was a donald trump video out there that no one has ever seen for the recruitment of isis. you know, i'm not sure that secretary clinton should go out there and talk about videos that do not exist. second of all, i think when she called the problems with obamacare glitches, i think that's going to come back to haunt her. and when she made the comment about being where we need to be in fighting isis, i think that's another one she'll get asked about. >> none of that has got -- we're in what i call the last phase of the campaign when you basically tell all the staff at
10:48 am
des moines and time to go to cedar rapids a you try to win. she has to do well in iowa in order to beat back a very strong grassroots campaign by bernie sanders. she did herself very well last night. once again, she was able to respond to all of the attacks and also take on the gop front-runner. so, i think she's in the catbird seat. >> everybody wanted donald trump last night? >> yeah, exactly. everybody was after him. it serves dual purposes. its helps donald trump. in the course of today, we'll be talking more about donald trump had to say about iran and putin and all that than probably the democratic debate, but it also helps the democrats. donald trump has horrible favorable numbers in a general election. he's probably the weakest most un unelectable gop candidate but he's the leading candidate so i think all of the democrats should have been happy about last night. they all brought their a-game in the course of that. the primary probably doesn't reset itself. hillary clinton is still the dominant force in this. but i think bernie sanders does have an outside shot. if he could make his g.o. tv operation in --
10:49 am
it doesn't go anywhere. >> wait, if you win iowa and new hampshire, that's a new race >> but then still then what? you still have a 74-year-old democratic socialist who is too far to the left to win a general election. and so what you have to figure out is, if he's going to be winning the democratic nomination, is there somebody else? >> i actually don't think he's too far to the left to win the general election. in the course of america today, what we've seen in the course of these debates, there's no conservatives left in the democratic party at all and there's no liberals left in the republican party at all. they both bomb to the polarize ends of the spectrum and if bernie sanders happens to win it, which i think is very difficult, he could actually beat somebody like donald trump if donald trump is the nominee. >> let me tell you, i was at the vegas debate on tuesday, and what i heard yesterday, you know, i don't know about you guys but bernie sanders sounded a lot like ted cruz and
10:50 am
clinton sounded more like lindsey graham. she's more hawkish and more to the right. i think you're seeing a libertarian spectrum in the republican party. >> you definitely are seeing that right now. how about that point cokie was just making. even if bernie sanders can't go all the way, you have a seriously wounded front-runner. if that's the case. hillary has to win iowa. >> well, look, i think so. she lost it before by a very small percentage point. by the way, in terms of john edwards. but i think she has to win it. i mean, she's poised to win it because she's been there, she's been organized and she has great people on the ground. but you know, beyond iowa and new hampshire, you have south carolina and nevada. she's very strong in those states and super tuesday where the african-american vote will play a very decisive -- i got to tell you something about matt dowd who is doing a bromance with donald trump. >> no, i'm not doing any bromance with donald trump. i just look at the data. when a meteor is about to hit
10:51 am
but donald trump is selling attitude. he's not selling substance and the republicans are buying it. i mean, i think donald trump is going to flame out soon and ted cruz, ted cruz who is really driving a very strong campaign, somebody that the republicans need to watch. >> i have to agree with you. i think he's been calculated. he's bidded his time. he stroked donald trump's ego until he stopped. you know, very recently. >> but your candidate now, jeb bush is basically making his campaign here in new hampshire taking on donald trump, can that work? >> thank god, i think jeb has to focus, you know, laser focus on new hampshire. we're seeing it's paying off for chris christie. new hampshire likes for new hampshire to be number one and be the priority. this is a state where i think jeb can be competitive. one of the problems is you got a kasich and a chris christie who are in the race -- >> the problem jeb has, the problem jeb has, he's a very decent man, he's a great leader and governor of florida. it's not the same republican
10:52 am
>> right, right. >> the republican party now, the mainstream of the republican party is represented by ted cruz and donald trump. when you take a look at their stands on immigrants and exactly the same, their stands on muslims, exactly the same and so when you take a look at that, jeb bush doesn't fit the republican party of 2015. >> i know -- >> hold on. >> donald trump is a really good tactic -- >> what does it show? >> it shows him being tough and that's what he has to show. you know, trump has really shaped the narrative. so, for instance, in the new hampshire paper this morning, the headline is, "bush brings energy to town hall," that's all trump has been saying about him. and so for him to take on trump, be tough and see if it works, now what's happened is everybody else is taking on trump. >> thought to the same degree. everybody is taking him on -- >> actually i think the only person that has the guts and showed it to do it publicly is jeb bush. the one that did it in that debate -- >> bobby jindal did it. rick perry did it. >> but they're no longer relevant.
10:53 am
>> when you have a guy of high unfaves attacking a guy with high faves and leading it helps the guy that's leading. >> the republicans need a lee atwater. bringing back the dead, god bless lee atwater. someone who can go after donald trump's strength. i mean, that's the problem. you hit him at his weakness. >> what does that mean exactly? >> look, the guy is a big bloviator, bully. you need someone to go after that. if you're not going to do that, then donald trump just comes back and says -- >> the problem has been is that many of the republicans have made fun of his -- >> not for a long time. i think people have recognized that this is a real problem. there's real angst in the republican base and in the country. >> we talked about the what ifs though if hillary loses iowa. what if trump gets beat in iowa? matthew dowd, we did have that story in "the new york times" saying he's lagging in organization. does that matter and does he stop winning when he loses?
10:54 am
>> no, i think it matters -- the width, breadth of cruz's win matters. finishes second in new hampshire. and that actually hurts more jeb, kasich, rubio in the course of this. it then basically becomes a two-person very competitive race headed into south carolina where i think ted cruz has a lot of support. total two-person race. carolina. >> yeah, but when that bump happens, if ted cruz wins iowa, this thing becomes a two-person race. >> i think you'll see trump go nuclear. >> go nuclear? >> go nuclear. >> more so. i think he's taking a liking to running for president thing. >> but this whole thing is i'm a winner and so being a loser could be an issue. >> that's what we're going to find out. >> incredibly interesting to watch. >> the candidates that the democrats are most concerned about, more the establishment candidate really bombed up in a pack in new hampshire. marco rubio, governor christie, jeb bush, john kasich, all right neck and neck. >> that's right.
10:55 am
i mean, he ran as somebody when he ran for the senate that he he ran against immigration, then he was for immigration, we don't know where marco rubio stands. i think he has to sort it out himself. meanwhile, i think, those like governor christie who's spending is doing the right thing. you got to figure out where you win. if he comes in first or second place, i think he has legs -- >> you know, i think it's important that marco rubio and ted cruz, who i think are very evenly matched and such talented politicians, very different styles, i think they need to move on from this back and forth. it's like, you know, young bucks locking horns over immigration. >> their prime opponent -- >> it's been going on -- this immigration battle of he said/he said, what you said back in that year it's almost like a senate re-election battle for a seat going on. >> we said all this thing about it, hillary clinton, if she wins the nomination is going to be one of
10:56 am
the democratic party in a long time. >> i disagree. >> the majority of people don't trust her. the majority of people don't like her. the country is off on the wrong track. they want different policies than barack obama. i'm not saying she can't win, but she's vulnerable. >> you got ten seconds. >> you know what, her strength is connecting with people and understanding what they need and she'll fight for them. so, i don't think she's a weak link at all. >> they like her policies. >> she's gotten better at connecting. she wasn't that good at it six months ago. that's all the time we have for today. have a great christmas.
10:57 am
i'll see you tomorrow on "gma." >> "jack hanna's wild countdown" is sponsored by nationwide. >> hi, everyone, i'm jack hanna, coming to you from my base camp here at the columbus zoo, and welcome to "wild countdown!" the fastest humans can run about 27 miles per hour. that's nothing compared to the fastest animal athletes. look at those things, they're huge! like cats so quick they risk a speeding ticket on every hunt. >> oh, look at that! >> marsupials that barely touch the ground.
10:58 am
>> blue flyers?
10:59 am

32 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on